Request for discussion: lowering the backlog of old Trac tickets.

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue May 1 08:14:26 UTC 2018

On 30/04/18 23:52, Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 2018-04-30 21:09, Chris Jones wrote:
>> I would also argue we are using the same system, for two different things. Short term bug reports and longer term 'work goals' are not the same, but we seem to mix them up in the same system. Maybe some way (label ?) to identify tickets that are going to be longer term is required ?
>
> I would assume that bug reports would be short term and requests for new
> ports or enhancements in a port are long term, but that distinction
> already exists with the "Type" field. In which other cases would you
> apply such a label/keyword?

I don't necessary see the distinction the bug reports are short, and new
ports or enhancements in a port are long term. I can see plenty of cases
where it would be the exact opposite way around. All of the above could
be address quickly in some cases.

I am suggesting an explicit label that is used in cases where we want to
keep a report long term, for whatever reasons. I cannot think of a good
name right now, but something different to the type of ticket. That
label could then be used to filter them out, for instance, in some cases.

Chris