[MacPorts] #56389: rrdtool @1.7.0: fix missing dependency for dejavu-fonts

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at macports.org
Wed May 2 00:47:31 UTC 2018

> On May 1, 2018, at 6:50 PM, macports at parvis.nl wrote:
>

>> On 2018-05-01, at 22:56, MacPorts <noreply at macports.org> wrote:
>> (...)
>> Tidy other deps based on port-depcheck.sh analysis
>
> - what is that?
> - can I do that myself?

Various MacPorts maintainers have developed little tools that ease some task or other.  A few of them are available via ‘macportsscripts’:

$ port info macportsscripts
macportsscripts @0.4.1 (sysutils, macports)

Homepage:             https://github.com/cooljeanius/macportsscripts

Platforms:            darwin
License:              BSD
Maintainers:          Email: egall at gwmail.gwu.edu, GitHub: cooljeanius
                      Policy: openmaintainer

Run ‘port contents macportsscripts’ to see what is included.  I used port-depcheck.sh which walks through all the library linkages of a given port and then compares them with the declared dependencies of the port.  In the case of rrdtool, it found one linked library that was not amoung the declared dependencies (fribidi) and 5 more that were declared but not directly linked to.  If you compare your submitted diff with what was committed, you can see the changes I made.  BTW, rrdtool also does not link directly to Perl5.27 or tcl but I assume those are called at run-time for data bindings.  Accordingly, I also made those run deps.

Why, you may ask?  Say expat received an update with a major API change.  The expat maintainer needs to identify all ports that will be affected by this change.  Having expat among rrdtool’s deps would make it a ‘false positive’.

Craig
PS remember the ‘port rdeps blah’ command will recursively walk through all deps required by port blah.