missing dejavusansmono in rrdtool pango cairo fontconfig

macports at parvis.nl macports at parvis.nl
Wed May 2 21:46:37 UTC 2018

> It looks like all unknown fonts are just substituted with Helvetica for
> the quartz renderer.

Indeed.

>>> However, that is only necessary if rrdtool can only work correctly with "DejaVu Sans Mono". Would it be acceptable to use a different font that is always available for the time being? Even a generic 'monospace' should give similar results.
>>
>> Munin, where I am currently working on, explicitly defines DejaVuSans and DejaVuSansMono. Both are substitued by Helvetica. That cannot be handled by a wrapper but requires patches, to Menlo for example.
>
> Ah, I assumed this was about the default in rrdtool, which is specified
> in the configure script:
>
>   RRD_DEFAULT_FONT='"DejaVu Sans Mono,Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,monospace,Courier"'
>
> That could be overridden with the --with-rrd-default-font option to
> something like Menlo.

Patching rrdtool is simple, but not a general solution.

> If you can already identify where Munin specifies the font, then writing
> a patch to change that to Menlo should be quite easy.

For munin I think the best way is to specify PANGOCAIRO_BACKEND=fc, because we also supply the munin-server-script where it is needed.

You wouldn't like to know how many patches I've made to the entire chain of rrdtool->fontconfig, for learning and testing.

> I never would have thought that porting Munin was so complicated. I'd prefer to start with ddrescue and foremost, my heart lies at the OS and things like filesystems.
>
> I am sorry your experience with updating Munin to 2.x was not the best.
> You really hit a can of worms there.
>
> If you do not want to pursue updating munin further, do you think it
> would be worth to attach your work-in-progress Portfile to the Trac
> ticket [1] for others to pick up?

On the contrary! I always like to learn, I don't like to give up. I'm working on the macports and the munin part at the same time. My way of working is to always write scripts and do nothing by hand, a requirement from the mainframe environment where I used to work. It takes a little bit more time now, but you earn it back very soon.

> Rainer

Paul.