Help with Pull Request

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Thu May 3 10:14:57 UTC 2018

Recently, I opened a pull request (https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1714/).
It originally had three changes:
	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1714/commits/59ff57cc3a8dacfb96f46fc3e902f2bfeae9ce02
	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1714/commits/5a4067d5fed62b9c728ac9a35c69d245bf45207c
	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1714/commits/27d91e9580d848aa0146ca8f1641484ac00bd910

Based on one of the comments, I added a fourth change:
	https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/1714/commits/00475440732ef92697b1d8e59fc62eac809a8d69

Unfortunately, I have also been attempting to keep both this branch and my master branch consistent with upstream.
My attempts seem to have cluttered up my pull request and messed up my master branch.
Now there are 21 changes instead of the desired 4 in the pull request.
On GitHub, I am told that “[t]his branch is 128 commits ahead, 128 commits behind macports:master,” which doesn’t sound good.
I am not sure if these issues are related.

The only git commands I have been running (not in this order) are
    git pull --rebase upstream master
    git pull --rebase origin cargo-pg
    git pull --rebase origin master
    git push origin cargo-pg
where
    cargo-pg is the name of my branch and upstream is
    git remote add upstream https://github.com/macports/macports-ports.git

Do I need to delete this pull request and start again?
Do I need to delete my fork and start again?
Deleting and restarting is, to my shame, my goto strategy with Git.

My hope is that I can do all my contributions through pull requests as it seems less dangerous.

I have tried to look up an answer online, but I would say that the quality  of advice on Git is … inconsistent.
I am not sure what sources to trust.
A surprisingly large number of them end with “git push --force” or “git push --force-with-lease.”
Of course, they include the caveat that this is also quite dangerous.

Is there any way to run
	git config --global ability.level 'very_low'?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcus