Remove all remnants of python <2.7

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri May 4 20:12:42 UTC 2018

On 4 May 2018 at 15:05, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> Yesterday, Ryan pointed out in the course of a pull request that the
> port in question still had support for python 2.5(!).
>
> I'd like to propose that we should systematically remove all
> references in Portfiles to any version of Python before 2.7. In the
> case of ports that do not appear to support Python 2.7, we should
> probably deprecate the port.
>
> Thoughts?

Some time ago I found it helpful to keep py26 around for the sake of
being able to install py-wxpython 2.8 and 3.0 side-by-side for the
sake of some ports which were not compatible with wxWidgets 3.0, but I
no longer care for the software which did not bother to move to
version 3.0 by now (there's in fact just one python port depending on
wxpython 2.8), so my ancient plea is no longer valid.

I believe that some people argued that it would be nice to keep pypi
working, so that users who might want to test compatibility with older
versions of python could still test. But again, given how long python
2.6 has been past EOL and that people should by now be actively
testing migration to python 3.x, I wonder if there's any value in
keeping support for even that alive. Most likely not.

I would vote for strict migration off python up to 2.6 and up to 3.3
as soon as reasonable (that is: move them to graveyard), followed by
removal of python 3.4 from ordinary ports, then moving all py34
subports to obsolete / replaced_by py36 subports. At some point we
should probably check which ports could be removed from obsolete (for
perl we do the migration mostly at once, so it's easier to put a
date).

I thought that python 2.5 traces were no longer there.

Mojca