[macports-ports] branch master updated: Improvements to Pull Request Template

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon May 7 14:55:17 UTC 2018

On May 7, 2018, at 09:22, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

> Perry E. Metzger (pmetzger) pushed a commit to branch master
> in repository macports-ports.
>

> https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/6c30941ab56093c30c52cd10c87cd0b776b0232c
>
> The following commit(s) were added to refs/heads/master by this push:
>
>      new 6c30941  Improvements to Pull Request Template
>
> 6c30941 is described below
>

> commit 6c30941ab56093c30c52cd10c87cd0b776b0232c
>
> Author: Perry E. Metzger
> AuthorDate: Mon May 7 10:22:25 2018 -0400
>

>     Improvements to Pull Request Template
>

>     - Add suggestion that commits be squashed and minimized.
>
>     - Remove suggestion that template be removed for minor commits, it is
>       almost always the case that people remove them inappropriately.

>     - Remove instructions on how not to alert the maintainer, even for
>       openmaintainer we prefer to alert people to changes.

When I submit a PR to add a maintainer's GitHub handle to their ports, I assign the ticket to them (if I can; if I can't, because they're not in the developer team, I @mention them in the description), and then I use [skip notification] so that they aren't notified about it a second time (once for the PR, once for the notification comment), and so that any other maintainers aren't bothered about the change.

If the notification bot were a little smarter, and didn't do a notification if the only person to be notified is the person to whom the PR is already assigned, or from whom a review was already requested, that would help a little.