[macports-ports] branch master updated: poedit: new port @2.0.7

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Wed May 9 01:36:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, May 08, 2018 at 08:53:14PM +0200, Rainer Müller wrote:
>Hey Zero,
>
>I appreciate that you stepped up as the maintainer of poedit after I had
>given up on it! [1]
>
>However, the poedit port now bundles full builds of other software,
>including zlib, gettext, boost, icu, and even wxWidgets.
>
>That really should be avoided, as this software is already available in
>separate MacPorts ports. The libraries should be shared and reused
>instead of building the same software again. Bundling is also a
>nightmare for maintaining a port, as it implies that any patches applied
>to the corresponding ports also need to be applied to the sources in the
>poedit port. Updates will also only be delivered with updates of poedit,
>so upstream bugs can linger on for a long time.

I understand that, but it now uses Xcode workspace and getting it built
with the xcode PortGroup already took me hours because I'm not familiar
with the Xcode build system and that the xcode PortGroup can't handle
workspaces natively.

From https://github.com/vslavik/poedit/blob/v2.0.7-oss/deps/README:
>Note that some sources are slightly patched, too.

This means there may be problems if we use MacPorts libraries.

From https://poedit.net/download:
>Windows and macOS versions can only be built from a git checkout; Unix builds can be done either from the checkout or from the above tarball.

The old poedit port uses tarballs, but now the upstream website states
that you can't build from tarballs on macOS. The new tarballs stripped
many files (e.g. artwork/macos/*, src/quicklook/*) compared to the
repository.

It should be possible to share libraries with other ports by modifying
the Xcode files, but I don't think these patches would be easy to
maintain.

P.S. I think being able to install Poedit without MacPorts by extracting
https://packages.macports.org/poedit/poedit-2.0.7_0.darwin_15.x86_64.tbz2
is also useful for some users.

--
Zero