Qt5 port group

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Fri May 11 12:10:32 UTC 2018

I believe this is possible.
However, as Ken pointed out in a previous email, we have two models we could follow:

1) The gtk3 +quarts vs gtk3 +x11 model
    (Almost) every dependent port of gtk3 has quartz and x11 variants consistent with whatever gtk3 was installed with.
    I *think* this could be done in the qt5 PortGroup.
    Every port which uses PortGroup qt5 would get a qt5LTS variant (or a better name).
    We already have some the machinery for the long delayed qt5kde variant.

2) The multiple LLVM/GCC versions model
    Most of Qt 5 is installed into ${prefix}/libexec/qt5.
    The exceptions are the cmake and pkgconfig files.
    We could try to allow multiple simultaneous installations of Qt.
    Each port would then be free to choose whichever is better.

I am not sure which (if either) would be a good design choice.

-Marcus