Qt5 port group

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri May 11 16:22:15 UTC 2018

On May 10, 2018, at 19:44, Marcus Calhoun-Lopez wrote:

> On May 9, 2018, at 11:07 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> My understanding of the fact that they conflict is that there is some latest version of Qt that is compatible with each version of macOS, and that by using the qt5 portgroup, one automatically receives that version. However, in practice, that does not appear to be the case. I see build failures of my Qt-using ports on some macOS versions because the chosen version of Qt is not compatible with that version of macOS.
>
> I am aware of one instance of the wrong Qt component being installed for a particular system
> (https://trac.macports.org/ticket/55651).
> I am afraid I am unaware of any others.
> Do you happen to remember which ones fail?

My QupZilla port, which use QtWebEngine, can't be built on 10.10 or earlier anymore.

On 10.10, the reason is the one in the ticket you mentioned: the portgroup chooses the qt5 set of ports (5.10.x), which says:

> Using Xcode version 7.2.1, but at least version 7.3 is required to build Qt WebEngine.
> QtWebEngine will not be built.

So, the portgroup chose a version of Qt that doesn't work on the OS.

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.10_x86_64-builder/builds/54417/steps/install-dependencies/logs/stdio

On 10.9, the reason is that the portgroup chooses qt58, but:

> Project ERROR: QupZilla requires at least Qt 5.9.0!

Ok, so there's nothing we can do about that.

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.9_x86_64-builder/builds/56597/steps/install-port/logs/stdio

On 10.8, the portgroup choose qt57, with the error:

> Error: qt57-qtwebengine requires OS X 10.9 or later

Again, the portgroup chose a version of Qt that doesn't work on the OS.

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.8_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/60255/steps/install-dependencies/logs/stdio

On 10.7, the portgroup chose qt56, but:

> Error: qt56-qtwebengine requires OS X 10.9 or later

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.7_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/66544/steps/install-dependencies/logs/stdio

On 10.6, the portgroup chose qt55, but:

https://build.macports.org/builders/ports-10.6_x86_64_legacy-builder/builds/61133/steps/install-dependencies/logs/stdio