understanding gcc's header choices and how to fix them

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon May 28 16:49:44 UTC 2018

On 2018-5-28 13:58 , Ken Cunningham wrote:
> I believe understand that there is one copy of libstdc++ installed by the latest functional version of gcc, at present gcc7.
>
> All the versions of gcc from gcc45 to gcc7 use that same library.

There's libgcc45 and libgcc6 as well as libgcc (plus libgcc-devel but
that's not important here). Some of the gcc ports depend on two of
these. Not sure how that works.

> --with-gxx-include-dir=${prefix}/include/${name}/c++/ \

Not 100% certain but I would think this is telling it where to install
its headers (as opposed to "use the headers in this location"; it
probably uses its own headers wherever they are installed regardless).

- Josh