install-patch-install cycles & install without activate

macports at parvis.nl macports at parvis.nl
Tue May 29 18:31:54 UTC 2018

I'm trying to work as much as possible with scripted procedures.

After an initial install of a new/modified port, I need to apply/change patches.

My workflow is:

  port install munin

  #- cycle start
  port clean --work munin
  create patches against the unmodified tarball
  port clean --work munin
  port install munin
  test
  #- cycle end

Problem here is that if Portfile  isn't changed, install will skip all phases, including checksum, extract, patch, configure, build, destroot, "install", activate.
I can port clean --all munin but then I need to fetch again, and that is not needed.

  Q1) What is the port command to execute all needed phases, starting with patch?

Somewhere it says something like install creates a tarball from destroot, activate unpackes that tarball.
Above I wrote "install" because I'm looking for the port verb that does exactly this.
I would like to be able to do the complete installation process without activate.

My experience is this:
port install does
- if activated: nothing
- else: do all steps from $(port work munin)/.macportsmunin.state
Is this correct? If this is true, port deactivate munin && port install munin would be enough.

  Q2) What is the port command to execute all needed phases, except activate?

Possible solutions:
- using this unknown port "install" verb
- rm $(port location munin)*
  is this safe?
- somehow manipulating the registry
  doesn't sound safe