How to resolve a technical conflict

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sat Nov 3 14:44:58 UTC 2018

On 03.11.18 14:27, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
> So an instance of something that hasn't happened much has appeared,
> and I'd like some guidance both on the individual instance and on the
> problem in general.

[...]

> 1. How does one adjudicate this particular dispute?
> 2. How does one adjudicate such disagreements in general?
>
> At the moment, our process gives a port maintainer absolute say over
> how a port is maintained, but I don't think that's always reasonable.
> However, we have no mechanism for settling a disagreement.

As far as I am aware, we were always able to find a solution that works
for both the maintainer and other developers requesting changes.

I would appreciate if we could try to find a compromise here as well.
As long as the variant is enabled by default, the contents and
functionality of the port will not change. Such a variant should also
not require much, if any, maintenance effort.

Rainer