dealing with java opened SSL errors

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 4 14:14:36 UTC 2018

> I don't know about java, but the python portgroup deliberately disables the ability to download dependencies. We don't want ports to download things except during the fetch phase. And if a port has dependencies on other ports, it should declare them. It looks like py-tensorflow already declares a dependency on py-six, so there should be no reason for it to need to download six again. If its build system is hardcoded to do so anyway, you could patch it to stop it from doing that.

I would like to be able to do this but the bazel build system that py-tensorflow uses is not designed to allow it easily. It positively insists on controlling all aspects of the build, including dependencies. It was enough of a battle to get it to use macports provided compilers, when needed….

I am not saying it is impossible, I just do not know how. See for instance

https://docs.bazel.build/versions/master/external.html <https://docs.bazel.build/versions/master/external.html>

Its just really really complicated and frankly I don’t have the enthusiasm to work out how to do it…

bazel and py-tensorflow currently build fine, albeit with their own dependencies, when Oracle’s JDK 10+ is installed. I am just looking at the moment to allow OpenJDK to be used as well.

Chris