portconfigure.tcl - why does appending to an ENV variable (like CFLAGS) not also append to configure.cflags ?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Nov 8 17:52:42 UTC 2018

On Nov 8, 2018, at 10:16, Ken Cunningham wrote:

> OK. I guess the answer to my question then really is that it is apparently purposelful and desired behavoir that
>
> configure.cxxflags is not set up the same as CXXFLAGS
>
> and  likewise for all the others as well. That concept is a new one for me, but I'll try to wrap my head arond this.

It's only purposeful and desired to the extent that it's what the developers who implemented it came up with for the problem they were trying to solve, given the constraints and difficulties I explained earlier. Certainly the method has its drawbacks, as you've demonstrated. We can certainly explore, as I started to in my previous messages, changing it.