Should Tcl/Tk extension ports use --enable-64bit?

Christopher Chavez chrischavez at gmx.us
Fri Nov 16 15:15:15 UTC 2018

There is a configuration flag `--enable-64bit` included in the portfile
for Tk, and is enabled as long as not building for universal.

This flag also appears to be available for Tcl and various Tcl/Tk
extensions as well: Tix, Img, tktable, possibly others. Should those
similarly be using `--enable-64bit`?

This is just a naïve observation--I currently do not observe any
problems, compiler warnings, etc. that I would attribute to this option
not being used, nor am aware of any explicit benefits.

---