trying to understand the --no-exec activate option (on by default?)

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Thu Nov 29 23:32:14 UTC 2018

On 29.11.18 22:59, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> That's what I understand from the embedded help but also what I'm trying to confirm in the code.
> As said, I'm not seeing output from post-activate phases when I reactivate a port after having deactivated it.

Have you tried unconditional output first? Works fine for me here.

> From what I understand the default is that the corresponding option variable ("ports_activate_no-exec") isn't even defined. It's unclear to me what the other 2 expressions check for in that same if in proc action_activate; maybe they're the reason my post-activate phases aren't executed after each activation?

Correct, these variables will only be defined when the argument is given
on the command line. The code that sets ports_${action}_${key} is in
proc parse_options in port/port.tcl.

Not sure which expressions you mean, but the call to registry::installed
is used to verify that the given portname/version combination is
actually available in the registry.

Rainer