new xcode build system and build failures

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Tue Oct 2 05:19:27 UTC 2018

On Mon, 1 Oct 2018 at 22:00, Rainer Müller wrote:

> We could make -UseNewBuildSystem=NO the default for Xcode == 10 in the
> port group for now, as the new build system just does not seem stable
> enough just yet.

I would have said that when Lion came out and we switched to clang
immediately, even though it wasn't the default on that system :)
This lead to a zillion build issues.

But it was good that we did it, else we would end up with those same
issues one year later.

We may add that flag to individual ports (and keep tickets around
saying that those ports should be fixed), but not switch to default,
else we'll just learn the same lesson the hard way one year from now,
when there will no longer be a fallback mechanism available to switch
to.

> However, I think it is likely that this flag will be going away later in
> Xcode >= 11. So I guess we also need to get it working with the new
> build system.

Precisely.

Mojca