qreduce

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Oct 7 16:48:04 UTC 2018

On Oct 6, 2018, at 14:41, Mark Brethen wrote:

> I’m working on a port qreduce-devel. This is a Qt-based worksheet GUI (written in python) for Reduce UNDER DEVELOPMENT. Would this be suited as a separate port or is it considered a sub-port of reduce? BTW the source is packaged with the reduce source.

subports are a convenience to the developer. Their only purpose is to make it easy to share code between multiple ports. If you're going to share a lot of code between the two ports, using subports might make sense. If, for example, you have several ports that are built out of the same source code, then the master_sites, version, distname, checksums will be the same for each of those ports, and using subports will make it easy to update them all at the same time. The file port, for example, has a libmagic subport, since the source code for both the file program and the libmagic library are in the same tarball.