tenfourfox - should it be in the MacPorts repo?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Oct 12 01:05:45 UTC 2018

On Oct 11, 2018, at 12:29, Christopher Jones wrote:

>> Apparently, gcc48 can produce some zero-length N_SECTs that error out in the default strip command but don't need to. Cameron made them warnings instead (see below). We are reaching the limits of my knowledge about this issue right about now …
>
> OK. Looking at that patch, because all it does is make what was an error into a warning, I see no (technical) reason why this could not just be applied (conditionally, only on those old systems that need tenfoxfox)  to the main cctools build, so patch the strip command built by that.
>

>> I made strip7 a separate port from cctools so as to stay out of Jeremy's way. It could easily be a subport of cctools, but I have a feeling Jeremy may not like that much ;>
>
> You will not know without asking, and anyway cctools is open maintainer as well….
>
> I think you should consider preparing a PR that does the above, and then let the discussion start on the PR itself. If/When that gets approved, adding the tenfourfox port should be straight forward..

I agree that a tenfourfox port would be welcome in the main macports-ports repository.

Please do ask Jeremy about the cctools strip issue. I know he's been very busy and may not reply right away, but either making strip7 a subport of cctools, or patching strip in the main cctools if Jeremy doesn't object to that, would reduce Portfile code duplication.