Merging pull requests before 72 hours

Michael Dickens michaelld at macports.org
Mon Oct 15 13:23:23 UTC 2018

I'll second Chris' note of thanks for MP folks keeping the PR queue short. Since MP folks (especially Perry) have started stepping up to this task, I too have been trying harder to do my part.

Now my US$0.02 worth and all IMHO about PR commit timeouts & why. - MLD

-Any- non-urgent fix should go under a 72-hour timeout; urgent fixes should be given 24 hours. "Urgent" means that the port is clearly broken in any sense: fetch, patch, configure, build, destroot, install, activate, runtime -- on the most recent supported OSs (currently: 10.12-10.14). If a port works on recent OSs but is broken on an older OS, e.g., 10.6 or 10.8, then it goes under a 72-hour timeout.

Rationale: I like reviewing changes, even trivial ones, to my ports. I'm often unavailable on weekends (USA Sa/Su), so an issue filed on Saturday I generally won't get to until Monday. 72 hours gives any maintainer(s) a reasonable chance to review, request changes, discuss, decide to merge, and so forth. 24 hours just isn't enough most of the time, given our various work and family lives.

I, too, would like to see a clear set of guidelines, not just the use of "major" or "minor" since those are very subjective.