Merging pull requests before 72 hours

Zero King l2dy at macports.org
Tue Oct 16 04:11:37 UTC 2018

On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 02:16:48PM +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
>Hi,
>
>[...]
>
>>If these sorts of things aren't okay to merge pretty quickly, then
>>why do we have an openmaintainer designation at all? I mean, if
>>there's really no distinction in how you treat an openmaintainer and
>>a non-openmaintainer port, why have openmaintainer? Why not just have
>>everything closed maintainer?
>
>The way I view openmaintainer is ports that are labeled as such can
>have (non trivial) PRs applied to them, *once the 72 hour timeout has
>expired*, without the explicit consent of the maintainer, as long as
>some sort of agreement of other members that the update is reasonable
>is reached. But the 72 hour timeout should always be adhered to for
>anything that does not classify as 'trivial' (whatever the rules are
>for this).

"If a port's maintainer contains the address
<openmaintainer at macports.org>, this means that the author allows minor
updates to the port without contacting him first. But permission should
still be sought for major changes."

According to our guide, 'minor' updates to the openmaintainer port
doesn't need to wait for the 72-hour timeout, it's not even required to
notify the maintainer.

"A critical port is broken that affects many users."

We often do revbumps without contacting the maintainer if a dependency
update causes breakage.

My two cents:

We also need to clarify what changes can be committed immediately
without maintainer review (even if not openmaintainer), e.g. security
fixes that doesn't break the port or its dependents. I would consider
fixing broken ports, addressing security issues and certain trivial
changes (e.g. fixing typos in comments and broken livecheck, updating
redirected or dead URLs and revbump broken ports) for this category.

--
Zero