Merging pull requests before 72 hours

Leonardo Brondani Schenkel lbschenkel at macports.org
Tue Oct 16 12:37:08 UTC 2018

> Please point me to where this is documented ? i.e. where is it stated
> that openmaintainer allows revision changes. This appears to be one of
> the issues here since not everyone, myself included, agrees with you.
> The only statement I have found is
>
> "If a port's maintainer contains the address
> <openmaintainer at macports.org>, this means that the author allows minor
> updates to the port without contacting him first. But permission should
> still be sought for major changes."
>
> which does not mention this point. It leaves the interpretation of minor
> and major to the reader.

Based on your response I had to go to the website and check. To my
surprise you're right, I must have imagined or misread the rule and
somehow this definition got stuck on my mind.

To my defense, "minor updates to the port" could be interpreted as
either updates to the Portfile or to the software itself, but I must
concede that the second interpretation is not clear-cut. Mea culpa for
the misleading statement regarding the documentation.

But back to the topic at hand, 'openmaintainer' is somewhat of a
digression: if the port is not, then PRs have to wait for the
maintainer. If the port is, and a PR was opened by a member/committer,
then it must follow that the submitter understands that the change does
not fall within the definition (otherwise they would have pushed
directly) and wants to submit it to the maintainer. In either of these
scenarios, a premature merge seems not to be warranted. Doesn't that
make sense?

// Leonardo.