RFC: Remove old Python versions

Fred Wright fw at fwright.net
Sun Oct 21 19:27:16 UTC 2018

On Sun, 21 Oct 2018, Chih-Hsuan Yen wrote:

> I'd like to remove old Python version - python{24,25,31,32,33}. I see no
> ports depend on python{31,32,33} and no one maintains them, but those
> ports are still kept for while. Is there a reason for not deleting them?

Some of us like to test Python code against as many versions as possible.
It's bad enough to have to maintain locally patched versions of a few
Python-related ports just to expand the version lists, without having the
Python versions themselves disappear.

My own philosophy is never to drop anything without a sound technical
reason, rather than just being "too old".  If the same zeal for
eliminating Python versions were applied to OS versions, MacPorts wouldn't
run on anything older than 10.12.

Checking port dependents is inadequate, since it doesn't cover
"dependents" based on user interest.  If one were to remove all ports
without dependents, and iterate, there would be no ports at all. :-)

Fred Wright