Creating a port for non-free software

Marcus Calhoun-Lopez mcalhoun at macports.org
Wed Oct 24 01:24:30 UTC 2018

Recently, there was a request to create a port for a software package called GAMESS [1].
After a little research, I found out that GAMESS is *not* free software [2].
Moreover, downloading GAMESS requires registration, and neither the source nor the binary can be redistributed [3].
I believe there is precedent for such a port [4], but I was wondering if fit within the ethos of MacPorts.
I have no personal need for the GAMESS, but if, as suggested by the reporter, it would be useful to others, I can put a little time into it.

If there is no way we can support such a setup, we should probably close the ticket as wontfix.

Thanks,
Marcus

[1] https://trac.macports.org/ticket/57395
[2] https://www.msg.chem.iastate.edu/gamess/License_Agreement.html