How to make sure that one port gets updated before another? (MinGW)

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Fri Oct 26 21:20:37 UTC 2018

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 at 22:58, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2018-10-27 07:27 , Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > A while ago I tried to update MinGW-w64 to version 6. The problem is
> > that one needs to update both of these ports:
> >     x86_64-w64-mingw32-crt         5.0.4_0 < 6.0.0_0
> >     x86_64-w64-mingw32-winpthreads 5.0.4_0 < 6.0.0_0
> > but I cannot figure out how to force "sudo port upgrade outdated" to
> > update the crt port first. I did try to add the crt port to explicit
> > dependencies, but it doesn't seem to help.
>
> If A depends on B, then B will be upgraded before A.

Except that this doesn't happen in my case.

I added an explicit dependency on x86_64-w64-mingw32-crt (both build
and lib, just to be sure) and it's still not being updated before
x86_64-w64-mingw32-winpthreads.

> If you're doing bootstrap stuff, consider making a -bootstrap subport of
> whatever is needed to break the dependency cycles.

I do have two bootstrapping subports of x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc (with
suffix -boostrap and -nothreads). But maybe the logic is wrong
somehow?

Note that MacPorts doesn't complain about a dependency cycle and there
were never any issues with that so far (I'm talking exclusively about
existing ports, not about any new ones). The only change I made now
was to add an explicit dependency on -crt (but that didn't really help
in any way, and I'm not sure why not).

Mojca