[KDE/Mac] MacPorts usage statistics

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Sat Sep 1 17:24:25 UTC 2018

On 12/7/14, Marko Käning <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:
> Hi René,
>
> On 07 Dec 2014, at 21:32 , René J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> That calls for a bit of lobbying -- or maybe a survey how many MacPorts
>> users were aware of the port's existence.
>>
>> Not me in any case…
>
> well, the original thread started off wrt Homebrew [1] and was then followed
> by [2].
>
> And yes, graphs like these [3] are very helpful when trying to understand
> what to focus on.
>
> I didn’t imagine, that already 40% of the (contributing) users are on OSX
> 10.10 and only 30% on 10.9...
>
> Interesting also, that 10.6 is still THIRD!!! :-)

So, going through my email backlog, I came across this thread (yes my
backlog really stretches over a year back), and just thought I'd chime
in in case it's still relevant: My 10.6 machine would've been one of
those data points contributing to the quoted statistic, until it
suffered a hard drive failure this year... so, when I had last
attempted to write more of this email, I had gone back to an even
older 10.5 machine until I got my 10.6 one fixed, and I hadn't even
really bothered with package management on it or anything, since I
intended for it to only be temporary... which luckily it was! I did
actually get my 10.6 machine fixed and am now sending this email from
it.

Eric Gallager