freetype-config is deprecated; test your ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Sep 4 18:46:54 UTC 2018

The freetype-config script is now deprecated. pkg-config should be used instead.

If you maintain a port that depends on freetype, please install the freetype port with its new +no_freetype_config variant and see if your port still builds correctly. Look out for errors that stop the build due to freetype-config being missing, but also watch out for build systems that simply continue past the lack of freetype-config and build without freetype support.

If you find either of those problems, see if there is a new upstream version of the software available that would fix the problem. If not, see if there is already a bug report filed upstream, and if there isn't, please file one, if the software is still being developed.

At some point in the future the freetype port won't install freetype-config anymore, so we need to get our ports ready for that.

-Ryan