Which release supported installation destinations?

George Plymale II georgedp at orbitalimpact.com
Fri Sep 14 15:51:11 UTC 2018

Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> writes:

> The prefix. Our binary archives are built for the default prefix
> /opt/local and simply extracting them somewhere else often (usually?)
> won't work. That's not because of anything MacPorts does, but just
> because software that is not carefully constructed to be relocatable
> will have installation paths "baked in" in many places.

Thanks for clearing that up. I guessed that this was the case; I've
poked around in these binary archives a few times . I noticed that there
are lots of hardcoded paths as you say, so this makes sense. I was
afraid that perhaps there was some magical caveat for a source-based
installation that I wasn't aware of.