texlive-ec - Computer modern fonts in T1 and TS1 encodings

Mark Brethen mark.brethen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 03:48:52 UTC 2018

I was having trouble building the pdf file in /doc/manual. Checking the manual.log I saw the following error on the title.tex file:

! Package inputenc Error: Invalid UTF-8 byte 246.

See the inputenc package documentation for explanation.
Type  H <return>  for immediate help.

l.18 Rainer Schˆ
               pf
?
! Emergency stop.

l.18 Rainer Schˆ
               pf
The document does not appear to be in UTF-8 encoding.
Try adding \UseRawInputEncoding as the first line of the file
or specify an encoding such as \usepackage [latin1]{inputenc}
in the document preamble.
Alternatively, save the file in UTF-8 using your editor or another tool

bottom line:
byte 246 in title.tex without declaring an input encoding. Previously this would silently fall through and make whatever character happened to be in that position in the font encoding.

Tex Live 2018 assumes UTF-8 if no encoding is specified and so this fails.

I added to the portfile:

 reinplace "s|pdflatex|pdflatex '\\\\UseRawInputEncoding \\\\input'|g" ${docsrcdir}/mkpdf.sh

to process existing tex files without requiring those files to be edited. This works for the pdf, but now I have to figure out how to patch this line:

 mk4ht htlatex ${JOBNAME} ${CONFIG},${SECTIONINGDEPTH}

in ${docsrcdir}/mkhtml.sh

Mark Brethen
mark.brethen at gmail.com