Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Sep 17 13:58:12 UTC 2018

On Sep 17, 2018, at 08:33, Mark Brethen wrote:

> I’m getting the following error when trying to build current snapshot of reduce-csl:
>

> :info:build Undefined symbols for architecture x86_64:
> :info:build   "_libintl_dgettext", referenced from:
> :info:build       _FcConfigFileInfoIterGet in libfontconfig.a(fccfg.o)
> :info:build ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture x86_64
> :info:build clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
> :info:build make[3]: *** [csl] Error 1
> :info:build make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
>
> gettext @0.19.8.1_0
> fontconfig @2.13.1_0 are installed.

Let's see. FcConfigFileInfoIterGet is a fontconfig function, and it is apparently using libintl_dgettext which is a gettext function, and it is presumably undefined because the gettext library (libintl) has not been included on the link line.

You could try adding "-lintl" to configure.ldflags when you build reduce-csl and see if that helps.

If I run "pkg-config fontconfig --libs" I see "-L/opt/local/lib -lfontconfig -lfreetype" -- it doesn't mention "-lintl". If fontconfig requires libintl, then that's a bug in fontconfig's fontconfig.pc file.

It looks like you might be linking with the fontconfig static library (libfontconfig.a); if so, try linking with the dynamic library (libfontconfig.dylib) instead; maybe that solves the problem too, and if so, that would be the preferred solution. On macOS and in MacPorts we prefer dynamic linking over static linking.