GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Umesh Singla umeshksingla at macports.org
Fri Apr 5 03:28:14 UTC 2019

On Fri, 5 Apr 2019 at 01:52, Arjun Salyan <arjun.salyan.che17 at itbhu.ac.in>
wrote:

> Hi,
> [sending privately to only potential mentors, because it is just an update]

It’s okay to share all the project related updates on the list. In fact,
it’s preferred that way.

> On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 3:14 AM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> There are various ways to achieve the goal. Note that if you run
>> portindex yourself, it will detect which files have been updated and
>> only ever touch data of those ports. The portindex command could be
>> modified to only output the file with changes (when you pass some
>> options to it). This will still miss deletes, but it would be an
>> efficient way with almost no dependencies.
>>

> With some changes I was able to make the portindex command to generate a
> file with only those ports which have been updated.

Does this include additions and/or deletions?

If we go with this method, it would better if we run the command on a
> different machine and then sync the file. This certainly is a much better
> way than the previous one. Shall I go ahead with this one?
>
> I would be happy to submit a PR of adding an option to PortIndex command
> which could generate PortIndex with only changes since the last time is was
> generated, but I am not sure if this would be useful.

It’s always to good to show your work and get feedback. It’s difficult to
comment on the quality otherwise. Please do not forget to make a PR.

Umesh