force specific Qt5 version install?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Apr 5 05:22:00 UTC 2019

On Apr 4, 2019, at 16:03, Michael Dickens wrote:

> On my build computers, I have OSX 10.5 PPC and Intel 10.6 through 10.14; I'm still working on 10.4 PPC and 10.5 Intel (I don't think I have the partition space for 10.4 Intel, even if I wanted to install it, which I'm not sure I do). I am regularly struggling to get Qt5 to update and sometimes even install, especially on 10.10 through 10.13.
>
> For example, right now on 10.13 I have Qt5 5.12.1 installed. "port" says that there is an update for qt5-qtbase and qt5-qtsvg ... to 5.11.3! Doing "sudo port upgrade outdated" fails because "port" can't figure out how to do the upgrade of the various Qt5 ports. [For the fun of it, I force uninstalled those ports (version 5.12.1) and then did "sudo port rev" and let "port" try to install the version of Qt5 it thinks is the correct version for this OS. I'm guessing once those ports at version 5.11.3 are installed, "port" will complain about ABI issues with the other Qt5 ports (which are at 5.12.1) ... we'll see!]
>
> I see this Qt5 upgrade issue regularly, and usually "port" eventually figures out the correct version of Qt5 to install -- sometimes it takes some coercion, but after much ado I have a Qt5 working; I have no idea if it's truly the latest / best build for the OS, but "port" thinks so & thus I'm willing to go along with it.
>
> Is there a way to force "port" to try to install a given Qt5 version? For example I know for a fact that 5.12.1 is buildable (and usable) on OSX 10.13 (since it was installed before this "update"), regardless of what "port" thinks.
>
> Thanks for whatever thoughts y'all MacPorts developers have here! - MLD

As I understand the Qt5 situation in MacPorts, there are multiple ports, for the multiple versions of Qt5, which conflict with one another, so the user is supposed to have only one of them installed: the blessed version of Qt5 that is known to work on that version of macOS. The qt5 portgroup is supposed to take care of knowing which version that is; ports that use that portgroup will use that version of Qt5.

Based on failures I've seen on the buildbot, for several versions of macOS, the blessed version of Qt5 mentioned in the qt5 portgroup is wrong. Someone should investigate and fix that.

P.S: Remember to use list addresses at lists.macports.org, not the previous hostname. Mail to the previous hostname gets redelivered to the new one, but some users' email servers reject those redeliveries for security reasons.