GSoC Proposal

KARAN SHETH karan.sheth at somaiya.edu
Sun Apr 7 18:35:55 UTC 2019

Hey,

> There's nothing specific that I would want to comment on.
> Well, to me it's not entirely clear how the automatic updates would be
> supposed to work, but ...

I made some changes to the update part, is it better now or am I still
missing something?

> And the stretch goals are somewhat short :)

Ya I am aware of this and am waiting for some good idea to put in there.
Should I add PortGroup for NPM as stretch goal?

> The only thing (mentioned yesterday) is that you either try to support
> Haskell, or you don't even try. If we want to try (and spend the exact
> same amount of time as you initially planned), then it makes sense to
> spend a bit of time earlier than in week 11. If you only start
> exploring the options in week 11, I would say that it's nearly
> guaranteed that you would run out of time while potentially waiting
> for someone else to do something, or waiting for some good ideas to
> pop up.
> If you would want to do Haskell, you would probably need to plant a
> seed early (not spend more than half a day or a day in any case), let
> it ripe while working on other important features, and then see if
> this is feasible / worth finishing or not. I still don't know what the
> major blocks are, but just because something is not written in json
> should not be the reason to give up. The format still seems parsable
> to me (not sure how many complications would arise).
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal2arch
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal2nix
> http://hackage.haskell.org/package/cabal2spec
> https://github.com/ddssff/cabal-debian
>
> Please note that I'm not implying that this is of vital importance to
> the project. A well written support for automatic updates of
> python/ruby/perl/npm ports would be worth a lot more than a bunch of
> semi-broken haskell/cabal packages.

I have changed the timeline for Haskell now and the basic structure of
it starts at week3.

Should I add the PR links somewhere in the proposal ?

Thanks,
Karan Sheth

--

 <https://www.somaiya.edu>        <http://www.somaiya-ayurvihar.org>