GSoC 2019 proposal - Feedback request

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Mon Apr 8 20:37:40 UTC 2019

Hi AmirAli,

On Sat, Apr 06, 2019 at 06:17:25PM +0000, AmirAli Mashayekhi via macports-dev wrote:
> I have uploaded my proposal draft on GSoC webpage.
>
> Unfortunately we at EPITA(mon École) got informed late about this
> years GSoC opportunity. But this doesn’t affect my true excitement
> about participation, open source and contributing on them.

Unfortunately it is quite late in the application process, which does
limit the time to get feedback and improve your proposal. Do keep in
mind though, that there might be a GSoC next year and there will be
another opportunity to participate!

> I appreciate if there is any feedbacks so I can enhance it before
> finalising my application.

> I shared a link here in case of comments.
> My draft link : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RUmFN7PSPqbGzH4h8Hqq-qkTFgS3XJ_bIrsq7GhikYE/edit?usp=sharing

If I understood your proposal correctly, you want to work on a number of
orphaned and missing ports. It would be good if you could improve your
proposal with more details, i.e. which categories of ports are you
interested in? Command line tools, science-related tools, software
development tools, etc. MacPorts has a huge number of ports, and getting
to all of them is likely way too much work for a summer, so you should
choose a more focused area, and ideally a number of ports that you want
to bring up to date.

Additionally, we're always looking for a detailed timeline in proposals,
i.e. what are you planning to do when?

Note that you also haven't followed our application template:
  https://trac.macports.org/wiki/SummerOfCodeApplicationTemplate
You should correct that.

--
Clemens