GSoC 2019 - trace mode improvements

Davide Gerhard rainbow at irh.it
Tue Apr 9 09:17:46 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 07/04/2019 15:15 CEST, Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

>> > Maybe we should be doing a better job in marketing :(
>
> My question is: what would we need to have done in order for the news
> to have reached you one month (or more) ago?

It is an hard question; the first thing that arise in my mind and that can
catch a lot of macports's users attention is to introduce

$ port news

with topics/priority support, like in the venerable gentoo portage [1].

A simple news could be suffice in the case of GSoC but should be
expected that there is a way to alert the user for urgent news;
think about security issues for example.

As an example of usage:

- the user sync macports-ports with

$ port sync

- at the end the system checks if there is new news and show the
  following message:

There is N news unread. 1 urgent.

In my opinion the urgent one can be shown directly at this stage.

Obviously, the user should change the status like, read and unread.

Keep in mind that I don't have Facebook and I use generally rss/ml.
Moreover, I don't see any post on macports-announce@ and macports-users@
about GSoC.

/davide

[1] https://www.gentoo.org/glep/glep-0042.html