GSoC 2019 [Collect build statistics]

Arjun Salyan arjun.salyan.che17 at itbhu.ac.in
Fri Apr 12 17:50:03 UTC 2019

Hi Mojca,

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 3:03 AM Mojca Miklavec <mojca at macports.org> wrote:

> Awesome!

Thank You.

One thing that "urgently" needs to be done is to obfuscate the email

(if written at all). I'm not even sure whether we actually want the
> email being displayed there. We need it to send automated emails from
> the buildbot in case some failure happens, or to occasionally contact
> the maintainer directly. But exposing that info on the website might
> be too much.

I had fixed it as soon as I saw the email, but couldn't reply that time.

As far as accessing the information is concerned: at the moment you
> use email as unique identifier. I would probably use github handle by
> default / as the main entry point. I think that '@' is an allowed
> character in URL. If so, we could use
>     <url>/maintainer/@ryandesign
> to access the same page

There was a big error in my parsing script due to which the GitHub handles
of a lot of maintainers were not being parsed. And hence, I went with
email. But still, some 300 maintainers have not provided GitHub handles.

> Alternatively we could allow macports handles (for those with
> @macports.org email addresses), so
>     <url>/maintainer/ryandesign
> could work just as well.

Yes, this would be good.

For maintainers with a super long list of ports, or, for
> non-maintained ports in particular, we might eventually need a way to
> shorten that list (have multiple pages) or provide a similar search
> functionality as for global ports, except that here it would be
> limited to the ports by that particular maintainer.

I would put that list of ports in a table and add version & short
> description.

Yes, I will add pagination and show more details for both list of ports on
maintainer's page and on category page. The filter would also be amazing. I
will do this.

> I still need to check the code: what's your current strategy for
> showing links to the tickets?
> At some point we could differentiate different types of tickets (for
> example mark bugs separately).

Sorry to disappoint you here, but right now I am using web scrapping to do
this. I am looking for a plugin that could add public api feature to track
tickets, but maybe it doesn't exist right now. We can make our own for sure.

> One minor suggestion. I really like the "search for port" field. Could
> this be added to every page? There is "ports" in the top right corner,
> but that one is a lot less useful in itself (not saying that it should
> go, just suggesting search on each page).

I have added it to maintainer-detail and port-detail. But it still needs
some work on its position on the page.

> Here's what I would do, but feel free to propose an alternative and/or
> discuss further. (Actually, I have two slightly different ideas for
> implementation in my mind, I'll describe one of them first.)
>
> For the maintainers you could declare a unique keyword over the
> combination of github handle + email. Every maintainer of every port
> has a uniquely specified pair (github + email) when you import it to
> the database (neither github handles not emails would be unique on its
> own). Note that you still have index specified on both columns
> (separately on each, but the uniqueness is only defined on combination
> of the two).
>
> When you read the port, you check the pair (@github, email). If the
> pair already exists in the database, you enter the (port, author) pair
> into the database of maintainerships. If it doesn't exist, you create
> it first, and then assign the maintainership to the port. (Note that
> whenever you are updating the port, you also need to check if you need
> to remove some maintainers from that port.)
>
> When you display a particular maintainer, say @somerandomgithubhandle,
> you run a query and if you hit more that one entry with that github
> handle in the database:

This would solve the problem of multiple emails with same GitHub handle.
But there are cases when the maintainer has provided 'GitHub and email'
both for one port and just 'email' for other port. Sorry If I am missing
something.

Example:
for libsmf {ryandesign openmaintainer}
for penal-soft {{ryandesign @ryandesign} openmaintainer}

And while many haven't provided GitHub handles, some haven't provided
emails.

You could also have a separate page which runs different queries and
> looks for all maintainers with inconsistencies (that's for later). It
> would generally be helpful to have a collection of such pages for
> different things, like: all broken builds on buildbot, all outdated
> ports, ...

This for sure would be very good to add into the app once everything is
ready.

Thank You