[MacPorts] #58848: Error: Failed to build rust: command execution failed

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Sun Aug 18 12:40:59 UTC 2019

Hi,

> What I find puzzling:
>
> 1. As I did not change anything on my system, why did all the files download correctly this time but not the last time?

Any number of possible reasons. Transient network issues to some mirrors for instance. The mirrors used for downloads are not the same each time.

> 2. Why were existing files not recognized yesterday (the "does not exist error") but not this time (no such error is in the log)?

no idea.

> 3. What kind of build error is that and how to deal with it?

As I have already said, macOS 10.8 is very old, and as such support for it in MacPorts will be worse than a more up to date system. In simple terms, very few users/maintainers run such old systems, so they do not get much testing. Software projects also tend to move forward and older OSes often simply cannot build them any more.

As you can see from

https://www.macports.org <https://www.macports.org/>

"targeting mainly OS X El Capitan v10.11 and later (including macOS Mojave v10.14)”

What that means is, whilst < 10.11 is not officially un-supported, anyone running such old systems should expect to run into problems.

As you can see from

http://packages.macports.org/rust/ <http://packages.macports.org/rust/>

rust has not built for < Darwin 14 (macOS10.10) for a number of releases.

If you search for trac tickets for rust at

https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets>

you will find a number of open tickets for this.

Chris