gcc7/libgcc7 problems

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 11 19:26:43 UTC 2019

> On 11 Dec 2019, at 3:32 pm, Ken Cunningham <ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> If you do decide to do this please only do it where needed, i.e. on i386 or 10.5 PPC. Newer systems that work fine with 7.5 should stay on that version.
>
> Hmm. May be too complicated to do that. gcc7 installs nothing much useful on newer systems anyway.

I fail to see why it would be complicated at all. The 7.5 update was minimal.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/dd197967ac1c9fb9b489ee4e347a2f5a859f9839#diff-a55581cf79dd67b30d377c9affc5fce6

Reverting back to 7.4 only for old OSes would be trivial to do. In fact, it would make things easier for you, as then you would not have to reinstate the patch removed in.

https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/commit/dcefaea1eca247c8ed6e8feb6d982598446c172e#diff-a55581cf79dd67b30d377c9affc5fce6

As you would still use 7.5 on the platforms needing that patch.

7.5 is the legacy 7.x release. Regardless of whether or not users should be using a newer major version, we should not force users back to 7.4 on the majority of systems that can perfectly happily use 7.5