Help with a Portfile

Ken Cunningham ken.cunningham.webuse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 07:44:38 UTC 2019

It is rather difficult to install libcurl with all it’s dependencies and certificates and keep it up to date with current security outside of Macports.

I suggest you use the method outlined in the referenced ticket <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51516 <https://trac.macports.org/ticket/51516>>

it takes 10 minutes or so to install a MacPorts setup into /opt/bootstrap, like this:

./configure —prefix=/opt/bootstrap —with-applications-dir=/opt/bootstrap/Applications —without-startupitems
make && sudo make install

and install curl on that.

/opt/bootstrap/bin/port -v sync
/opt/bootstrap/bin/port -v -N install curl

Then install Macports into /opt/local as usual, referencing that curlprefix:

./configure  —with-curlprefix=/opt/bootstrap
make && sudo make install

then setup your PATH to include /opt/local/bin

and away you go. No more downloading issues.

I have done this on every system I own 10.4 to 10.9 for years now.

Keep your wits about you when updating the bootstrap installation. You have to unset your PATH from /opt/local/bin first or you can call the wrong setup apps.

Never run “sudo port selfupdate”. Only run “sudo port -v sync” or you risk blowing your installation apart when MacPorts tries to selfupdate itself. Most of the install options are lost with every update, so you have to redo them each time manually.

When you want to upgrade MacPorts, you have to do it manually from source, first /opt/bootstrap, then update the ports in that, and then /opt/local, and update the ports in that.

At some point, we will have trouble installing a new MacPorts installation into /opt/bootstrap I suspect, as getting bootstrapped will be difficult or tricky eventually.

Better off to do it now, I’d say, while it still works easily.

Ken