Issues with compiler flags in gfortran

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 23 13:51:59 UTC 2019

On 23/01/2019 1:47 pm, Ken Cunningham wrote:

>> On Jan 23, 2019, at 00:06, Joshua Root <jmr at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>> '--with-as=${prefix}/bin/llvm-as-mp-7.0'
>
> 1. have to be sure we're not talking about the assembler for llvm IR here, which is a totally different thing...I think we call clang.
>
> 2. bootstrapping. the stock toolchain on many systems can't build llvm 7.0, but also you don't want to be stuck with llvm-3.4's clang forever as the assembler on those systems either either.
>
> The current system already would be better than that.

Agreed. I don't think the above change would be a good idea.

To my eye, the better way out here would seem to be leave gcc as is,
configure to use ${prefix}/bin/as, but then enhance the cctools port (in
some way to be discussed) to allow it to behaviour more along the lines
of how the system /usr/bin/as does.

Chris