Request for enabling some web hooks for the new buildbot test setup

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Jul 7 09:50:10 UTC 2019

On 02/07/2019 09.41, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
> Would it be acceptable to enable some web hooks in the base & ports
> repository for testing?
>
> On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 at 08:41, Rajdeep Bharati wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 11:21 AM Rajdeep Bharati wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I had a query: are webhooks enabled in the MacPorts repos?
>>
>> I guess it's not.
>> Would it be possible to add webhooks in the base and ports repositories:
>> payload url: http://34.67.147.76/change_hook/github
>> send push and pull request events
>>
>> Thanks, Regards
>> Rajdeep

I was not able to reach anything at this IP, but it seems to be assigned to
Google, so I assume this is meant to be hosted in Google cloud?

Even if just for testing, I think we should assign a DNS name so we can easily
redirect this somewhere else if needed without editing web hooks in multiple
places on GitHub. As I understand this is just your personal playground, I would
add the domain name:
  build-rajdeepbharati.macports.org  A  34.67.147.76

What kind of payload and which events are required? I would assume JSON format
and just the "push" event as for the existing buildbot? Or will this already
make use of the preferable GitHub Checks API and needs the corresponding
"Check run"/"Check suite" events?

> I believe that the following piece of code is an extensive user of the
> web hooks:
>     https://github.com/macports/mpbot-github
> This is a bot written in go (a past GSOC projects from 2017) which
> attaches various labels to PRs and takes care for CI builds of ports
> on Travis, parsing the logs and publishing summary of build results
> from Travis as comments on PRs.

Web Hooks are used to notify external services of events happening at GitHub.
The "reverse" operation to update status information and add comments uses the
GitHub API.

Rainer