Docker container with MacPorts

Mojca Miklavec mojca at macports.org
Sun Jul 14 21:27:54 UTC 2019

Dear Karan,

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 at 16:00, Karan Sheth wrote:

>> My suggestion would be: could you perhaps share the sources
>> (Dockerfile I guess; together with some basic usage instructions)? We
>> could probably add a repository under github/macports-gsoc or so. Then
>> I could at least build an image locally instead of getting something
>> incompatible.
>
> I had previously just docker pulled ubuntu and installed macports manually on it and then commiting the changes.
> I don't fully understand why the error occurred for you, isn't docker supposed to be free of such errors?
> Please test the Dockerfile attached with this mail by building it using "docker build".
> It might take upto 30 to 45min to build.

Can we push this hobby project that you made further and commit the
changes into one of the MacPorts repositories (including some super
basic documentation about how to run it) before it gets lost?

For the moment I would only commit the sources (configuration) since
the binary image is still causing some issues due to bugs in macports
base (which need to get fixed anyway).

I would either put the configuration somewhere in
    https://github.com/macports/macports-base
or maybe macports-contrib, or its own repository altogether.

We could of course also make some official "MacPorts" images, but
that's the next stage.
And we could try to generate portindex for linux on our server, which
would dramatically reduce the build time. That said, I'm not even
entirely sure if building portindex should be part of the image
generation steps. The package index is definitely missing when you
fetch an ubuntu image, for example, for the sake of saving space.

Any thoughts?

Mojca