Re: help needed: “Error: clang-4.0 has been replaced by clang-8.0; please install that instead”

Chris Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 11:20:17 UTC 2019

Hi,

macports clang 3.9 and 4.0 compilers where indeed recently obsoleted, in
favour of using clang 8.0 instead.

Unfortunately, macports base still considers them valid fallback
options, and thus will still use them when ports blacklist the system
compiler, which is something the maintainer of the two ports I think
over-looked when obsoleting them...

I actually just stumbled over this myself today, for another port, and
have submitted

https://github.com/macports/macports-base/pull/137

that should eventually address this in base.

That though will only help once a new base release is finally out...
Until then, you should isolate the port that is trying to use clang 3.9
or 4.0, and configure the build to use 8.0 by appending the option

port install foo-baa configure.compiler=macports-clang-8.0

or, submit a ticket requesting the port adds macports-clang-3.9 and
macports-clang-4.0 to the compiler blacklist.

Yes, the warning is mis-leading

Error: clang-4.0 has been replaced by clang-8.0; please install that
instead.

this does not actually mean clang-8.0 is not already installed.... What
it really should say is

'please configure port <foo-bar> to use clang-8.0 instead'

Chris