rebooting port:samba4 (WIP)

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:21:50 UTC 2019

Hi,

As mentioned in an earlier post, I've been running into issues connecting to MSWin shares from my Mac under 10.9. Suggestions found online to re-activate SMB1 support in MS Windows didn't solve my issue, so I started looking at how this works on my Linux rig (running Ubuntu 14.04, not exactly a recent version either. It uses a "KIOSlave" through the Dolphin file explorer, which leverages libsmbclient directly (so nothing is mounted, properly speaking). There may be similar solutions on the Gnome side of things but I have dolphin installed and connecting to the non-updated Samba server in my Time Capsule works with port:samba3. My Linux rig has Samba4 so the logical experiment was to see if installing that would help with my issue (sneak peek: it does).

Long story short: I found instructions what version still builds and how to do it:
https://medium.com/@mattmatic/compiling-samba-4-on-mac-os-x-high-sierra-24ca6a93a51c

Then I had to figure out how to fix the library IDs in all libraries and all their dependents . In the end I got the client side of things working; I can again use MSWin shares even on computers running the latest MSWin 10 version. I still need to implement the instructions showing how to set up a server; that would probably be useful too (I turn Samba sharing off when I take my MBP away from home).

Once that part is complete (and I have made another attempt at building a later version) I will put this up for inclusion.
In the meantime, if anyone wants to try this out, give constructive feedback etc, here's the port dir:

https://github.com/RJVB/macstrop/tree/master/net/samba4

I think it shouldn't require anything specific from my repo.

Samba4 is a drop-in upgrade for Samba3 (and it looks you can switch back and forth even after building a dependent against the v4 version). So the port will replace port:samba3 by default but there's a +concurrent variant that show allow concurrent installation. I haven't really tested it.

HtH,
R.