GSOC 2019 project: Improvements of Buildbot views (@ MacPorts)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 4 05:54:20 UTC 2019

On Jun 3, 2019, at 15:51, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> On Sun, 2 Jun 2019 at 18:46, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Buildbot is a program that we want to use for its own sake, so its port name should not begin with "py-" and it should be in a primary category that reflects its use. Look at the existing buildbot port. In fact, update that port instead of creating a new one.
>
> But just to make sure: do you want that exact same layout for all of
> the dependencies of buildbot as well? (waterfall view, console view,
> etc.)

I don't know. Buildbot 0.8 didn't have those as separate packages, and I haven't taken a look at them.

Will we ever want to include waterfall view, console view, etc. in any port other than buildbot? I would guess not, in which case there's no need to use the py- prefix.

On Jun 3, 2019, at 16:02, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> But now Ryan opened
>    https://github.com/macports/macports-ports/pull/4518
> and if you update your PR now, it will conflict as soon as we merge
> Ryan's one (unless the two get combined).

I don't see any need to combine them. I suggest to merge my PR first. That will give users a little time to upgrade to that. Then the other one can be rebased.

> (I still suspect some users will run into problems if they
> accidentally skip the update path from buildbot to buildbot-0.8, as we
> would not give them the usual one year grace period, but that's not my
> call to make.)

Or I could change my PR so that it does not change the buildbot and buildbot-slave ports at all, and just let Rajdeep's PR update them later. Users who wish to stay on 0.8 can discover the *-0.8 ports on their own.

> I have one further question for Ryan though. I think that waterfall
> view, console view etc. depend on having buildbot installed before
> installing the view.

Do they?

> On the other hand I would want to say "port
> install buildbot" and get all the three views installed automatically.
> How do you want to address that one? Note that buildbot 2 is split
> into many packages.

If so, then we may need a metaport (perhaps "buildbot-master") that installs only a README file, and it would depend on buildbot and all of its extra ports, and the extra ports can depend on buildbot as well.