[GSoC 2019] Web App Project Update

Arjun Salyan arjun at macports.org
Fri Jun 7 20:21:06 UTC 2019

Hi,

I am working on the web app to collect build and installation statistics
and show information about ports, maintainers etc.

Repository: https://github.com/macports/macports-webapp

We have deployed a demo on Heroku: https://frozen-falls-98471.herokuapp.com
. Any feedback and feature requests on this are very welcome.

Currently we are working on build history and port information. Port
information is fetched from Portindex after converting it to JSON using
portindex2json.tcl and build history is fetched from JSON API of buildbot,
it is planned to be kept updated using HttPStatusPush reporter on Buildbot.

Keeping the port informtation up-to-date is a challenge given the large
size of the portindex. We are looking at two aspects:
- Incremental updates using difference between two port indices [1]
- Full updates to completely sync the database with latest portindex

Full updates are dead slow on an Amazon RDS free tier instance, and
probably it won't be feasible on any externally hosted database. On a local
database, full updates take more than 5 minutes.

For installation statistics, we have setup a temporary port (mpstats-gsoc)
which would submit stats to the demo app. This is important becuase it
would give us enough data to write proper views and do testing. Please
consider installing mpstats-gsoc.

We are looking to deploy the app on MacPorts' server and host it on a
macports.org subdomain using Docker.

Thank you for your time, any suggestions would be very helpful.

[1] https://github.com/macports/macports-base/pull/121

Arjun