Feedback request regarding speed optimisations in trace mode

Mihir Luthra 1999mihir.luthra at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 06:40:21 UTC 2019

Hi,

> I would like to see the time for each run (if 10 runs, then 10 columns
> i.e., xx_run1, xx_run2, ...), rather than only average of them.
>
> Collect as much as insights we could, maybe we find some pattern or
> something that might help us (not sure what though). Since I have a
> feeling, we might get better performance in one run and not so good in
> another.

Thats true, that’s what troubling me the most. Before testing I read on
stack overflow that sys+user time is always correct,
but the most disturbing factor was that same port gives results significant
differences on multiple runs. Like in case of gettext + reps, sometimes I
get time as high as 13 mins and sometimes 11:30. Differences are also
noticeable in sys and user times.
Also I always made these tests on a completely new installation of the base.

> I notice that some ports take less time with modification and some
> ports take more time. Just want to make sure it happens in multiple
> runs.

I have made some more improvements since the last time, This time will make
tests on every port for 10 times and upload on spreadsheet.

> In an ideal scenario, I would prefer a clean environment (can be a
> fresh install of OS, bare minimum apps running, reboot before each
> run, etc.) to run each test (containers maybe? or some CI like travis)
> which might not be affected by other processes running in background.
>
> I didn’t reboot the system last time when I tested, but I had all my apps
closed and only 2 tabs open in terminal, 1 for modified base and 1 for
original. Also I didn’t make any runs simultaneously. This time I will
reboot after each run, but testing like that for sure Is gonna take some
days for a good number of ports.
Fresh install of OS probably would be hard for me, can’t it be like a guest
user.

Thanks for the help,
Mihir