Deprecating support for ports

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Sun Jun 23 21:42:52 UTC 2019

Hi

I work as part of the LIGO project and for a while now we've used
MacPorts to provide support for our collaboration members running our
software under macOS. For various reasons we are in the process of
switching over to Conda as this allows us to support Linux, macOS, and
even Windows (in some circumstances) from the same package source
thereby reducing the amount of work needed to support all the
different platforms used.

As such we would like to indicate that the ports we have in MacPorts
are no longer supported by us, looking through the various PortGroups
it seems that the deprecated group allows us to specify that a Port is
no longer under support in MacPorts. Therefore would the correct
course of action here be to add the following to the Ports we wish to

PortGroup deprecated 1.0
deprecated.macports_support no

In addition to setting the maintainer to nomaintainer?

At the moment all the ports work but that may not the be case as time
goes on, so eventually these will probably need to be removed. However
as they are still currently working I'd like to keep them around in
case anyone else would like to maintain them.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this?

Cheers

Adam