New website design

Saagar Jha saagar at saagarjha.com
Sun Mar 3 09:30:52 UTC 2019

(Re-CC’ing macports-dev)

If I was redesigning the website (full disclosure: the number of websites I have designed is somewhere between one and two–my own website and providing creative input on small bits of other ones), I’d keep the current “theme” but simplify it a bit. The new CSS makes it look a lot more modern (I’m fine with the font size, but personally I would remove the shadows and maybe simplify the font stack to just system-ui, Helvetica, sans-serif), so it’s reasonable in that sense.

What I think we should really focus on is the content: the homepage should have the goal of clearly explaining what the project is to new users, how to use it, and how to install it; the rest of the content must be easily accessible from the the homepage but be arranged in a clear, hierarchical fashion. The description that we have is actually pretty good, but I think there are a couple of things that could be reworded or pruned because they’re not that useful ("Mac operating system” → “macOS”, remove or significantly abridge the bits about the “single software tree”, reword OS support to be clear, etc.) We can also stick the example usage here, though I’m not completely sold on trying to replicate macOS windows in CSS.

With regards to handling navigation, we should consolidate the content under some useful categories (e.g. “Documentation”, “Contribute”, “News”). Then I’d just move all the less-relevant content off the homepage and under these, as well as put the current content there too.

Looking forwards to hear what the others have to say.

Regards,
Saagar Jha