license query

Christopher Jones jonesc at hep.phy.cam.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 10:43:13 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I am looking to setup some new ports, that will provide in macports access to the Intel Math Kernel Library and headers (for use by another port later on, PyTorch).

The license for this is the Intel Simplifed Software license

https://software.intel.com/en-us/license/intel-simplified-software-license <https://software.intel.com/en-us/license/intel-simplified-software-license>

Which on a scan through the ports tree I don’t think we current use anywhere, unless I missed it ?

Reading the above, (and based on PyPi’s distribution of it), I believe it is fully distributable, so I am wondering what would be the correct way to define the license, and allow the macports binary tarballs to be distributable ? Currently I have arbitrarily set the license in the ports to

# https://software.intel.com/en-us/license/intel-simplified-software-license
license             ISSL

So I just made up a new license.

Any suggestions on the right thing to do here ?

Also, the PyTorch port that I want to be able to use these will be BSD licensed, and I would like to try and make sure this is also distributable, so make sure the deps on the MKL ports does not prevent this.

any suggestions ?

cheers Chris